Defense State Vs. Federal Crimes
In the United States, criminal offenses are prosecuted in either a state or a federal court.. The law firm of Broden & Mickelsen, LLP has extensive experience handling cases in state courts throughout the State of Texas and federal courts throughout the United States. In addition, Broden & Mickelsen, LLP are experienced at handling cases at all three stages of the criminal proceedings (trial, appeal, post-conviction) in each system. Most criminal offenses are prosecuted in state court. Broden & Mickelsen, LLP represent clients charged with state crimes in all courts throughout the State of Texas. Federal crimes on the other hand, tend to involve more complex charges and often carry significantly higher penalties. Some offenses, for example, carry a minimum sentence of five to ten years imprisonment. The most common federal crimes prosecuted in Texas are a result of location and business climate. Immigration offenses and drug trafficking are common, as are large scale frauds such as money laundering, bank fraud and other white collar crimes. Broden & Mickelsen, LLP have extensive experience in defending the most complex federal crimes. Some types of offenses, such as drug offenses and fraud offenses, can be charged in either federal court or state court or even in both.
Experience is Essential
Both state and federal criminal offenses can carry harsh sentences. If charged with a criminal offense, it is imperative that you retain a specialized, board-certified, and experienced criminal defense attorney. Experience is especially crucial in federal cases, as many attorneys have limited or no experience in federal court. Our partners practice only criminal defense. Clint Broden and Mick Mickelsen are certified for trials and appeals by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization as experts in criminal law. They have years of experience, have been named “Texas Super Lawyers” every year since 2004, and have a proven track record with results in both state and federal courts. They are known not only for their skill as trial lawyers, but as attorneys who excel at appeals and post-conviction motions.
- Founded in 1998 by Clint Broden & Mickelsen in Dallas, TX
- Each Attorney has 20+ years of experience defending those accused
- Prior to 1998, Mick and Clint were both Assistant Federal Public Defenders practicing exclusively in Federal Court
- The firm is recognized for extensive experience in criminal appeals, federal crimes and state crimes
- Broden & Mickelsen, LLP are certified in criminal appellate law and criminal defense law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- In addition to Texas, Clint Broden is licensed to practice law in D.C. and California.