Criminal Defense Attorneys in Texas
If you are facing criminal prosecution in Texas, you need dedicated advocates who will fight to protect your rights and future. A conviction may mean prison time, substantial fines, and adverse consequences that follow you for the rest of your life. Fight back with the help of the elite criminal defense attorneys of Broden & Mickelsen, LLP. We believe serious charges demand sophisticated defenses, and we are ready to build a defense tailored to your needs.
Our board-certified criminal defense and criminal appellate attorneys have over 60 years of combined legal experience and a reputation for providing excellent client service and advocacy to individuals and businesses throughout Texas. Contact us today for an initial case review and find out how a criminal defense attorney from our firm can help you pursue a favorable outcome.
Reasons You Need a Lawyer for Your Criminal Defense Case
Are you facing charges in Texas? Here are a few of the top reasons you need a lawyer for criminal defense:
- Criminal defense lawyers understand the judicial system and can guide you as your case progresses through the courts.
- An experienced criminal defense attorney can advocate for the best possible outcome in your case, whether that involves a reduction or dismissal of your charges or the imposition of less severe penalties following a conviction. This can help you avoid many of the harshest consequences, including losing employment, educational, and housing opportunities or dealing with the social stigma of a criminal record.
- Lawyers can thoroughly investigate your case to identify effective defense strategies, such as proving that law enforcement obtained evidence in violation of your constitutional rights.
- Your attorney can offer honest, straightforward advice about your prospects, informing you about the potential penalties for a conviction, the strength of your case, and the best option for obtaining a favorable outcome.
Criminal Defense Cases We Handle
At Broden & Mickelsen, LLP, we can help you face criminal matters involving:
- Homicide – The stakes of homicide charges could not be higher. We can prepare an effective case strategy such as retaining top-notch private investigators to speak to witnesses not identified by the police or hiring expert witnesses to challenge the reliability of the state’s forensic analysis.
- Intoxication manslaughter – Our firm can help clients pursue favorable outcomes to intoxication manslaughter or drunk driving resulting in death. For example, we can move to exclude evidence from the case when police lacked probable cause to stop or arrest our client.
- Assault/aggravated assault – Our assault defense attorneys represent clients charged with simple/misdemeanor assault and aggravated assault. We thoroughly investigate claims and can hire investigators to interview the complainant and any witnesses to get the full picture of the underlying incident.
- DWI – Our Texas criminal defense law firm provides full-service representation to people charged with DWI, including representing them during their driver’s license suspension hearings and the trial court on their DWI charge. We can pursue every challenge to a DWI charge, including contesting the reliability of field sobriety or BAC testing or arguing that police lacked probable cause to stop our client.
- Sex crimes – A sex crimes conviction can have long-lasting consequences, including sex offender registration or community supervision. We thoroughly investigate our clients’ cases to obtain all evidence and prepare the most effective case strategy to pursue a reduction or dismissal of charges.
- Sexual assault of a child – A conviction on charges of sex crimes against children may result in serious penalties, including lengthy prison sentences and an extensive sex offender treatment program. Our experienced criminal defense attorneys have a proven record of securing acquittals in child sexual assault cases.
- Child pornography – State and federal law enforcement investigators devote substantial resources to investigating child pornography cases. Although the government has sophisticated internet tracking software and computer forensic technology, this does not always produce reliable evidence. Our firm will vigorously defend our client’s interest through trial and sentencing, when applicable.
- Drug charges – We can help you pursue favorable resolutions to a range of drug charges, including drug possession, possession with intent to distribute, and drug trafficking. Our attorneys will challenge the prosecution’s case by taking all appropriate action, such as moving to exclude evidence or statements obtained in violation of your rights or arguing that the prosecution’s evidence cannot prove your possession of the drugs at issue.
- Healthcare fraud – Let our criminal defense attorneys help you face charges of filing false Medicare/Medicaid claims or wrongfully obtaining healthcare benefits.
- Embezzlement – This crime involves converting or appropriating property placed into one’s possession by the property’s owner with the intent to deprive the owner of its use. We know how to fight back by showing our client had no intent to do so or a misunderstanding occurred.
- Tax fraud – If the Texas Comptroller or the IRS accuses you of committing fraud on your tax returns, we can prepare an effective case strategy to protect you from the possibility of significant fines and prison time.
- Computer crimes – Our firm has the experience and resources to handle all kinds of computer-related crimes, including:
- Theft of computer software
- Distributing viruses and malware
- Online identity theft
- Possessing and distributing child pornography
- Bankruptcy fraud – If you face accusations of filing for bankruptcy for an improper purpose or defrauding the bankruptcy court, let our criminal defense lawyers guide you through the federal criminal justice system and fight the charges against you.
- Counterfeiting and forgery – Turn to our criminal defense firm for help following an arrest for financial crimes involving forgery or counterfeiting of currency. We have extensive experience representing clients in state and federal courts throughout Texas.
- Credit card fraud – Our attorneys can prepare an effective defense strategy against charges of credit card fraud, including if you used a family member’s card with a good faith belief that you had permission to do so. Let us help you pursue a favorable resolution to your case to avoid significant prison sentences and hefty fines, costs, and restitution.
- Intellectual property theft/piracy – State and federal prosecutors vigorously prosecute charges of theft of intellectual property from businesses and corporations. Our firm has the resources to thoroughly investigate your case, even if it involves sophisticated computer databases and other technology.
- Wire fraud – Wire fraud involves using telecommunication systems in furtherance of a scheme to defraud others. You should turn to our seasoned federal criminal defense lawyers to protect your rights when facing prosecution by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Mail fraud – If you face an indictment for using the mail system to carry out a fraudulent scheme, you need an experienced federal criminal defense attorney with Broden & Mickelsen, LLP. We have a proven track record of success handling white-collar crime cases at the federal level.
- Money laundering – Turn to our firm for help with state or federal money laundering charges. We know how to prepare legal strategies for these sophisticated cases to help you avoid the most serious consequences of conviction, including substantial fines and lengthy prison sentences.
- Securities fraud – Prosecutors vigorously pursue securities fraud charges, but our criminal defense attorneys know how to investigate and prepare defense strategies for these complex cases.
- Federal crimes – Federal crimes often carry more severe penalties than their state counterparts. Federal prosecutors also have substantial investigatory resources at their disposal. Our seasoned legal team can level the playing field and pursue a favorable outcome of your case.
- Texas criminal appeals – When errors during your criminal prosecution affect the outcome of your case, you need to fight back to set the record straight. We can help you pursue relief, which may involve a new trial, a new sentencing hearing, or the reversal of your conviction.
- Federal criminal appeals – Our experienced attorneys have argued in published opinions in criminal appellate cases in the Fifth Circuit and many other federal circuit courts, as well as before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Contact Our Texas Criminal Defense Attorneys
Arrested in Texas? Then you need experienced legal counsel to protect your rights and help you pursue a favorable resolution to the criminal charges against you. Contact Broden & Mickelsen, LLP today for a confidential consultation with our Texas criminal defense attorney. Let our firm advocate for your interests and vigorously pursue the best possible outcome in your case.